Monday, June 15, 2009

My Mama made me Stupid, but the Devil, he made me Smart!

....thank you, BigBoi! ....I'll take it from here, MyMan....

It's mid-August 2001....I'm in Washington, DC....at the GreyHound Bus Station watching my Mother wave "good-bye" behind the dark tint of the "Proletariat Chariot."

Damn....I'm feelin' lonely than a muhphuka....What the hell I have I decided to do with my life?

She was on her way back to San Antonio, Texas....and there was a large part of me that wanted to jump on that bus...and ride back with her.

My Father, Brother, AND Sister TOLD her not to take this journey with me! She had just had her tonsils removed the week before--and she was in NO physical shape to travel. But, true herself, my Mama never listened to a word. And as I loaded up that late-model Buick LeSabre in Texas, she made sure I left just enough room for her.

Three (3) days later, we pulled up to the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia). I attempted to find residence near Howard University within two days! (Yep, proper planning wasn't always my forte.) In spite of the lack of planning and my ignorance to the geography and cost-of-living scale in DC, I managed to find a room for $280.00/month--all bills paid. My new address was 27 Bryant St. NW., Washington, DC 20001. {See below}.

Looks ravishing, doesn't it?

At full capacity, I was ONE of SIX people who lived here. My room was on the 3rd Floor...where all of the Heat and Humidity from the other floors would rise and collect. This "abode" came "fully-equipped" with NO A/C, filthy carpet [infested with mosquitoes and mosquito larvae], roaches [and other types of vermin], a semi-functional coin-operated washer/dryer, squeaky floors, old/tiny bathrooms, and the smell of an aging house that needed serious overhaul. As you can see from the picture, it came with an awesome PINK paint for the exterior. WTF? In short, it was one HOT, SWEATY BOX nestled in the Heart of the City. My roommates and I appropriately called our quaint homestead "The Dungeon." This moniker was most fitting....trust me.

Needless to say, it took a while before my "pimpin'" enticed those of the opposite sex to enter...though eventually they did come. (...And my hat goes off to every young lady that ever visited me there.)

In any regard, the lessons I learned while living in this section of NorthWest Washington, DC was just the beginning of my lessons in becoming a Man, a Scholar, and a Street Urchin.

I learned the rhythms and schedules of the D-Boys on the corner of Bryant & North Capitol. Through watching them, I learned to "tell time." Their morning greetings and saluations to each other meant it was 7:00 a.m...time for class. During the 5 o'clock rush hour they'd be out on the block...busy...working at a frantic pace...yet keep a "cool pose." For their nighttime patrons, they'd be heavy on the block from 11:00 pm-1:00 a.m. as well. (They kept great schedule; better than an alarm clock.)

I learned the mechanics of the "Gas Game" in P.G. County from a CrackHead/Crack Dealer/Thief/All-Around Career Criminal....he was one of my many roommates during my time in P.G. County, Maryland. This guy was almost the Devil in the flesh! Your typical BadGuy. You could SMELL the evil on this dude! Man, he would STEAL and LIE! But, due to conditions beyond my control (primarily ECONOMIC), I shared residence with this guy for approximately ONE year...and in having to deal with him...I learned a great deal about tolerance, accessing and exercising different forms of social power, detecting and utilizing manipulation, the list goes on.....

And though some of his general character traits were despicable, I formed an ability to appreciate his perspectives on certain issues. (Not always finding agreement...but understanding or appreciating the view of another person taught me a great deal about effective communication.)

In fact, for Thanksgiving 2005, we ate a Thanksgiving meal at the house in which everything was garnered from he and his homies panhandling in front of the local Giant grocery store. While eating, he told me that we were experiencing a more authentic Thanksgiving than most people, because like the real Pilgrams, we were feasting off the "land" [read: the people]. In the midst of my girlfriend leaving me for another person, my family members being 1,500 miles away, and experiencing a Thanksgiving void of any loved ones, I remember responding to his assessment of the situation by smiling and saying, "You are absolutely correct, Chief...please pass the cornucopia."

Later, I refined my Chess game with a few GoodGuys who never spoke too much or shared too much information. One, in particular, however, was up front about his incarceration...and the ways in which he improved his Chess game while behind bars. I would listen. I would share. I would listen. I would share. It was a delicate balance...because I would never divulge too much...and I KNEW they were selective about what they divulged as well.

I was never confused about being in the midst of "smart" people. Outcasts and pariah in the eyes of society, but some of these people have been far more intelligent than persons whom I shared space with in advanced theory class. As a matter of fact, I would share my dissertation ideas, my teaching methodologies, and my future plans for spreading the rhetoric of ghettoGEEKS with my "deviant" brethren, and in turn, received some of the best pragmatic and theoretical critique.

However, I always felt as if I was in the Devil's pit. I never got too comfortable. I'm not sure if I was EVER RELAXED during this 5-year period of my life. Even during the best of times, the Chess game never STAYED on the board.

DC, Maryland, and Virginia....

It was here, where I learned what could happen if you choose to ignore the LONG-ARM of the STATE. It was here, that I grew accustomed (numb) to ambulance sirens sounding ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT LONG. It was here, where I learned to appreciate the taste of West Indian Cuisine. It was here, where I learned you had to be RICH to be POOR...in the City. It was here, where I learned that not ALL conversations with the Homeless were a waste of time. It was here, where I learned about the depth of PRETENTIOUSNESS amongst the Bourgeoise. It was here, where I discovered though we lived in a Shitty House in the 'Hood...once we got upon the roof, we had a BEST view of the National Fireworks during the 4th of July!

I share all this to say....It is in some of the most UNCOMFORTABLE situations where the most GROWTH occurs.

Without a doubt, there will be future situations where the Devil will re-introduce himself to me. But, God allowed me to come through the experiences I just shared as a stronger individual...and I am confident that He will walk with me as I meet my future challenges. But, the greater blessing has been in sharing these experiences with you.

So, irregardless of your situation...you need to GET UP, GET OUT, and GET SOMETHING!

OuttaBoundz
WeBeGeekin'
www.ghettogeekin.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, this is moving. This really is the tale of two cities, the city on the hill and its devil twin.

You should send to the New Yorker or something, deserves wider readership.

Tamden Walk said...

I love this post. I admire your ability to be so honest and come away from such a difficult situation with so many lessons learned. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I admire your ability to be so honest and come away from such a difficult situation with so many lessons learned. Please allow me to make a couple comments and share a few lessons that I learned from my experience.

I moved from B-town, I town with which I believe you are familiar, to New York City in August of 1999 (dang I'm getting old). I was sooooo happy to be getting out of my hometown that I cried on my airplane on the way over. I felt free and like a weight had been lifted, even though I was moving to a city that I'd never really been to before. I arrived at my first apartment in NYC courtesy of a university housing employee who took pity on me when he saw the look of confusion on my face when he tried to explain how I needed need to walk "uptown." I shared my apartment with just one roommate and my half of the rent was $565 a month, not including utilities. I learned, like I'm sure you did that you get what you pay for. I arrived in the middle of a heat wave and lucky for me all of the fans were sold out in NYC and there was no air condition. I had no furniture, but I did have a best bud KJ who came with me from TX and roughed it with me on an air mattress and air pillows until we could find our way around the city. KJ and I walked around the city for nearly the entire week she was there because we hadn't figured out the subway yet.

After she left I decided to make my first trip to IKEA, which also involved my first trip to Jersey! My older sister was in town to see her New Yawk Italian boyfriend so I was relieved that she agreed to go with me. The appointed day and time came and I didn't hear from her so I gave her a call. She answered, but then she hung up on me saying that she was in a movie with her boyfriend. I was so hurt. I was in a city that I wasn't very familiar with without my parents. Granted, I asked my parents not to come, but although I wanted to be independent I also wanted someone to be there for me when I asked.

I got over it and in the process I learned that I could do a lot more than I thought I could. Like you, I got to know the “locals” (okay so the locals in this situation are ivy-league educated New Yorkers) who taught me things like how to dress for the snow and how to grocery shop without a car. I had a BLAST and I’m so glad I did it even though I had more than my fair share of crazy roommates (the human and the mouse variety) and other interesting learning experiences.

As a result of my experiences in NYC, I learned that I’m actually quite good at finding my way in a new environment. I also learned that I LOVE a good adventure. But most importantly, I learned to be thankful, not just for my family of origin, but for the family of friends that I’ve been blessed enough to create.

So tell me, how long did it take your mom to get back to Texas on the bus? I’ve ridden the bus in TX and it takes FOREVER so I just can’t imagine a cross country journey. Also, I was moved by your Thanksgiving story. I’m sure after all of these years you have your Thanksgiving holidays very well taken care of, but just in case you don’t, you are more than welcome to join my family and me at ours. I have family in Northern Virginia and we have a big feast with tons of people every year. They even import BBQ from Texas because they haven’t lived there in decades and they feel a bit nostalgic.

Thanks for letting me share my comments. Keep on keeping on!