Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Y'all Shut Up! --and Pay Attention to what "Erka-Say."

Happy Women's History Month from ghettoGEEKS!

This year we wanna listen, participate, contribute, and benefit from discussions regarding Womanism, Feminism, Femininity, Misogny, Sexism...and anything else that applies.

We will start the Month off with a contribution from a Woman that I've known MOST of my life--and ALL of her life--my BabySister, Ms. Erika Hargrove. A Queen of "reading the fine print" and asking plenty of questions, Erika and I shared much of our youth in between libraries, schools, parks, and our ImaginaryWorlds [literally]. We both seemed to cultivate a Love for Wordz and the potential Power they possess...especially through poetry. That said, enjoy Erika's latest work:

I'm in Recovery - Love Me

I'm Crazy, but ain't I beautiful?
I'm Crazy, but ain't I smart?
I'm Crazy, but ain't I all that with some fritos and chili on the side?
I know how to open wide and dip it low and bring it up slow
Don't that make my craziness bearable?
Don't that make my life shareable?
Yes or No? There's no in between.
Answer me!

I'm giving, I'm living
My heart's on my sleeve. The ground is at my knees. Why can't you love me the way I need?
The way I love you. Why can't you do what I do?
Oh. No one asked me to? Okay, then. Fine.
Now, it's your time.
Let's see how you handle this. Let's see how far we get with go-with-the-flow.
Uh huh. Didn't think so.

I'm right. You're wrong. And now I'm done.
Until tomorrow, when I miss you and wanna kiss you.
And we're back to it. Let's do it.
Wait - I'm not satisfied, but I cry on the inside.
You're happy, so I guess that's good enough.
Man, this life is tough. Tough.
I've had enough.

Finally seeing that it's not you. It's me.
I'm sick. Sick of you, but sick of me too.
Finally seeing how I need to be. Finally learning to love me.
I'm in recovery. Thank God I'm in recovery.


---Erika Hargrove



WeBeGeekin'
www.ghettogeekin.blogspot.com

No comments: