Friday, October 30, 2009

HEALTH is WEALTH.

Though ghettoGEEKS is quite aware that the HealthCare debate has been raging in the United States for quite a while, we have not yet given commentary. Many readers may have been wondering WHY THE HELL NOT?

On July 21, 2009, one of our readers wrote the following:

Write about universal healthcare on one of your blogs so I can comment, pretty please. The UK is often cited as a bad example of what we don't want to become and after being here for nearly a year I have some insights that I'd like to share (I think).

So, this particular post, I dedicate to her.

The REAL reason nothing has been written on this site up to this point is that all immediate situations pertaining to the American HealthCare system have been far to embarassing and painful (PUN INTENED) to comment on. Needless to say, the HealthCare situation in America is PITIFUL...and as ghettoGEEKS, we are QUITE AWARE of the dispicable system that Americans call HealthCare.

But, now we have a concrete comparison that adds a bit more of a perspective on the entire situation.

Yep, your MainMan, OuttaBoundz, recently suffered an ankle injury playin' basketball with his Hak-Seng [students] this past Wednesday. In the middle of a "Michael Jordan Moment," I rolled my ankle on an uneven part of the ground. It hurt. I decided to rest for five minutes...and then I figured I'd finish the game out by moving at a slower pace. But, that uneven part of ground found my ankle again, and I immediately went down. I was in PAIN.

As I looked up at the sky, I was met with five faces of young people who seemed very concerned about my well-being...but the language barrier did not disappear...so things were a bit difficult at first. After going back and forth in a "broken communication dance," we finally decided that I would follow them to "Chon-Yeon-Reck-Qua" (the orthopedic clinic).

I hobbled into the facility...showed my Green Card....and within three minutes I was ushered to the back for treatment. The doctor, knowing only a small amount of English, and I, knowing a small amount of Hanguk-mal, were able to communicate enough to understand each other. HE understood I was in discomfort. I understood he cared about relieving my pain. I was given a splint, x-rays, a surprisingly thorough conversation regarding what he found in the x-rays, a cold pack, and a prescription for medication. My co-payment was $30.00. I walked one block away, and paid $3.80 for the medication. Total time in the clinic: under 1 hour.

NOTE: I only pay $50.00 bucks a month for medical insurance. (This $50.00/month includes the entire body; Vision, Dental, and Medical.)

The next day, my co-teacher drove me back to the clinic, and they equipped me with a set of crutches for $20.00.

I have since been back for a third consecutive day for physical therapy; physical therapy is $3.80 per visit. It includes a hot pack strapped to my ankle for 20 minutes...and this electrolysis for 15 minutes...and I'm back to my business.

The reality is, I haven't received medical attention of this caliber since I was a very young person. For the last three years, I have been uninsured due to employment stipulations...and I'm a pretty well-educated individual. In that three-year period, I've waited in emergency rooms with the indigent; listening to horror stories about 3-4 days of wait time without seeing a doctor. I've visited student doctors and dentists in attempts to receive medical care at low costs. I've held my breath when riding my bicycle, playing basketball, or doing anything else a human being should do to maintain physical health. ...and for what? So that private insurance companies can continue raping "we the people" and getting rich collecting monthly premiums while using the "pre-existing conditions" clause to avoid offering service? But, let's not excuse the Federal Government. In fact, it is governmental policy that allows this pillaging of the people.

I've heard two stories from two separate friends, who have friends from other countries, who have purchased airline tickets to their home countries to receive medical care because it is cheaper to travel to their respective home countries to receive treatment than get treatment in America. WTF?!

As my ankle continues to heal, I will continually ask myself the obvious question.

America...........why do you find it necessary to fuck your citizenry?

Give us a DECENT Public Option! It is the Humane thing to do....

WeBeGeekin'
www.ghettogeekin.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Sci-Fi said...

it's unreal that once you step outside this country and see how others treat you in comparison to what type of treatment you receive @ home...makes you wonder why you call it home? Figured everyone on this planet bleeds & breathes the same thing...and yet certain individuals put a price on what everyone on earth is entitled to. It's a sad state the human race is in. Cash Rules Everything Around Me...but Not me!